Thursday, December 4, 2014

Super Mates Episode 20: Coloring Books! with Brian Heiler


Grab your box of Crayolas and join Chris, Cindy and their special guest, Brian Heiler in a discussion of something every kid knew so well…coloring books! Brian, in addition to being the author of Rack Toys: Cheap, Crazed Playthings, and editor-in-chief of the Mego Museum.com, is also the mastermind behind Plaid Stallions.com. There he hosts Coloring Book Theatre, exploring the highs and lows of licensed coloring books. From a neutered Fonzie in a tan jacket, to David Lynch’s not-suitable-for-kids Dune, Brian shares some of the best and most bizarre coloring books ever to be printed in black and white.

Chris drags out his stack of childhood coloring books and pulls out gems featuring Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Captain America, the Super Friends and Star Trek. It’s a colorful, random, waxy discussion about those wonderful time-wasters we all remember.


Download directly or via iTunes.


Be sure to let us know what you think! Let your voice be heard! We’d love to read it aloud in an upcoming episode. Drop us a line in our comments section, or email us at supermatespodcast@gmail.com. If you're listening on iTunes, please consider leaving a review of our show! We’re also on Facebook!

Be sure to check out Plaid Stallions!
And stop by the Mego Museum!

Chris (aka Earth 2 Chris) co-hosts the Power Records Podcast with the esteemed Rob Kelly over at the Fire and Water Podcast feed! 

Next time: It’s Christmas-time! The Franklins discuss some classic Christmas stories from the DC Animated Universe, including The Batman Adventures Holiday Special comic, and episodes “Holiday Knights” and “Comfort and Joy”.

2 comments:

  1. Great episode! Brian Heiler is always a welcome guest on any show, and I should know. I didn't realize by having him on FIRE & WATER that I was denying the world a SUPER MATED show about Megos; I guess I could cancel that episode he and I have planned about Presto Magix.

    My favorite coloring books were those treasury-sized ones starring Superman, Batman, WW, Shazam, Spider-Man, Hulk, and Cap, which you guys touched on briefly. I still remember the store where I got the Shazam! one, and my Dad buying it for me.

    I enjoyed how quiet Cindy was in this one, only to pipe up with "Praise Be His Name." I feel like that is a personal victory for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cancel that episode NOW! I call dibs!

    I never saw those treasury coloring books, until you posted about them Rob. I wish I had!

    Cindy is like a panther, lying in wait, ready to pounce on anything illogical at any moment! But she knows good art when she sees it, hence the PBHN!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete